…these are a few of my favourite things. I’ve been feeling really homely and introverted lately, something that isn’t all that common for me (the homely part yes, the introverted part no). So I thought I’d share some of the things that are occupying my headspace a lot at the moment.
1. Gardening. Seedlings, flowers, succulents, inside, outside, herbs and veggies…I’ve got a hardcore case of the green thumb at the moment. I’ve currently got some basil, chives and coriander seedlings growing in their first stages, a wonderful new chilli plant, a rose bush on the balcony and I can’t get enough greenery inside. I’ve also invested in some beetroot, radish and spinach seeds which are all meant to be in their prime to be planted now, so hopefully I will be eating lush once it really begins to get colder here.
2. This song. Gutted I missed them at ATP but luckily White Hex are supporting them early next month at The Gas so I can get my fix.
3. 1940′s hats. I always gravitate towards the cloches and wider brimmed styles of the 20′s but lately I can’t get enough of the 40′s! Tilt hats have always been a favourite, and I was found this little burnt orange beauty for the shop but I’m about 90% sure she’s staying on my hat rack.
4. Baking. I’m serious about baking you guys, like, really serious. I definitely got it from my mother (who makes cakes professionally) and whilst I don’t bake as often as I should, when I get the urge I bake a LOT. A friend of mine who used to live with me said she felt bad when I was obviously a little down, but secretly loved it because she reaped the rewards of all my baking. My greatest accomplishment this week was an upside-down rhubarb and hazelnut cake for my housemate’s birthday, which didn’t look too appealing but tasted like a dream. This afternoon I made some easy-peasey veggie muffins and tonight there’s a pie on the agenda, followed by a crumble.
5. Girls (the show, but also the gender). Ever since I saw Lena Dunham’s ‘Tiny Furniture’ a couple of years back, I was obsessed and needed to see/read anything she’d ever done. Girls has been one of the only shows I’ve come across in my life that I can (I know it’s a gross term) relate to, accurately represents women my age and demographic and is fucking hilarious. I’m so excited for the season 2 finale next week! Adam and Hannah have to get back together!
6. Winter Wardrobe Wishes. Melbourne had a heatwave over the last two weeks or so where basically it didn’t drop below 30 degrees, and so I did absolutely nothing except drink cold beer every day and have a Game of Thrones marathon with Jesse. I know during that time it may be strange to even be thinking about winter coats and knits but it was like a silver lining in the distance to me, the thought of a cocoon coat was the only thing that kept me going, It’s cooled down a little now and I know that by April it will be cold again, and I’ve been trawling Ebay and Etsy endlessly for that perfect coat. I started a board on my pinterest, but of course I’ve been lazy and always forget to pin things as I find them.
7. Following on from my winter wardrobe wish list, it was basically realised in the Louis Vuitton FW 2013/14 show. Check it if you haven’t already, I’m obsessing!
8. Saving like a slave. Jesse and I are buying our tickets overseas next month, we’ll be leaving in September for 2/3 months and so far have England, France and Berlin in our plans. In the mean time i’m cutting back on everything (cleanskin wine from the IGA is my new best friend as $4.50 a pop) and am getting super excited. If anyone has any tips/recommendations get in touch!
9. Czech director Věra Chytilová’s film, ‘Fruit of Paradise’. For a long while, her film ‘Sedmikrásky’ has been a favourite of mine, and I only got around to watching Fruit of Paradise this week, although I had recognized it’s imagery for years. It really is fabulous, and visually beautiful.
10. Planning trips. I’ve been working like a dog, and mostly never having a weekend day off/two days off consecutively. But I do have some time coming up and have some lovely trips planned. Jesse & I are going up to Hanging Rock soon (Edwardian picnic themed attire a must), I’ll be visiting Labassa Mansion (something that’s been on my list for ages) and Evie, Charlotte and I are going away for the Easter long weekend for a gal’s weekend at a Lake. Our theme is ‘acid-fashion-parade-meets-whimsical-forest-nymph’ and with a theme like that you know it’s gonna be good.
What are you obsessed with lately?